I’m fairly getting to grips with this rendering stuff, but my aptitude seems to lie in the proficient use of Photoshop these days. Why, oh why did it take me so long to jump on board the Photoshop train?
The evidence speaks for itself. Or maybe it doesn’t. If you can’t see the difference I may as well pack up my all my worldly belongings (which is basically my TV, laptop, Canon camera and 1990s mobile phone) and shut up shop.
I thought I’d take you through my post-processing routine. I set my sights on contrast settings first. The enhanced richness of the colours is very obvious. And when it comes to wood grain, it really helps to tease out the detail.
Then I take a look at specific tones that need to be adjusted further. For example, the kitchen units in this instance, have been edited. Sometimes when you apply various lighting environments and material settings when rendering, the original colours and tones that were applied in the 3D model are affected. Photoshop can help to right this wrong.
Next up is highlights. All around this room are various highlights where light from either the environment settings (sun), or emitters (internal lighting) are bouncing off walls, furniture and accessories. I like to emphasise highlights – it helps to exaggerate the overall effect and can add a little drama. Sometimes I’ll add highlights that didn’t even exist in the original image. Can you spot them in the image below?!
In the ‘before’ image, part of the reflection in the mirror is blank because I used a Section Plane in the 3D model when I prepared it for rendering. When this happens you lose part of the scene (obviously), which is only a major problem when there’s reflections. I’ve managed to address this by copying the reflection from the mirror in a different rendered image. How cool. Yes, I’m very aware of how geeky I sound right now.
Then I’ll inspect patterns on furnishings etc. Sometimes SketchUp can be a little tetchy when it comes to projected materials that have a pattern, it’s one of its greatest weaknesses (in my opinion). So if the resulting render has a few problem areas I’ll use the clone tool in Photoshop to ensure a pattern has been repeated correctly.
Pre Anita’s Photoshop Wizardry
Post Anita’s Photoshop Wizardry
And here’s another example of how useful Photoshop can be. The flames in the image below are very static and ‘fake’ looking.
But once I’ve tweaked and fidgeted using Photoshop, they appear much more fluid and realistic. I would imagine that the client wouldn’t take this level of detail under their notice. But it’s my thing; I’m a stickler for detail. It’s soooo difficult being me…
I didn’t need to make too many adjustments to the image below. I played around with the contrast setting and edited the flames.
This is how the visuals were presented to the client.
This isn’t my design concept, but there are bits ‘n’ pieces of Anita Brown Design Studio dotted in and around this space ;)